Wesley United Methodist Church

NW 25 and Classen Blvd. www.wesleyokc.org 405-525-3521

Monday, January 19, 2015

But I Do Not Know How to Pray

Do you ever feel you simply do not know how to pray? What to say, or what to do?  Seeking to add more intentional prayer time to life is worthy but we often soon feel adrift. 

 
 
Church tradition provides some resources that are not dependent on our cogency, our skills in prayer and can provide needed direction in what we do in prayer. Sometimes we have no words but through Church History others have been moved to help us express our hearts to God.   Note, they may sound a little strange but it is perfectly fine to simply "talk" to God as you would a friend or relative.
 
 
The following prayers are guides to help focus your meditations and guide you in your own gentle conversations with a God who loves us. Some people may like to use prayer beads, prayer stones, or   use some other tools to make their time seeking God meaningful. We invite you  to pause, to kneel or sit and pray in the Sanctuary Chapel.
 
Apostle’s Creed: Our Father, which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name.  Thy Kingdom come.  Thy will be done: in earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive them that trespass against us.  And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, For ever and ever. Amen. [Traditional, 1662 Book of Common Prayer]
 
Confession (Psalm 51:1,2) :
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy loving-kindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.  2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
 
23rd Palm: The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures: he leads me beside the still waters.  He restores my soul: he leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.   Thou prepares a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anoints my head with oil; my cup runs over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
 
Lesser Doxology: Praise God, from whom all blessings flow; Praise him, all creatures here below; Praise him above, ye heavenly host;  Praise Father,
Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen [Thomas Ken, 17th Century Anglican Bishop]
 
Gloria Patri: Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.
 
Prefer Your Presence
Let me prefer your presence, O God, to all other company. Let me exalt your name above all others names, and let me love your will beyond all other desires; for the sake of Jesus  Christ. Amen.  (Thérèse of Lisieux , 1873-1897)
 
Apostle’s Creed: Our Father,  which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name.  Thy Kingdom come.  Thy will be done: in earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread.  And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive them that trespass against us.  And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, For ever and ever. Amen. [Traditional, 1662 Book of Common Prayer]
 
Wesley United Methodist Church – Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment